The Canadian Red Ensign

The Canadian Red Ensign

Sunday, September 19, 2010

This and That No. 2

I had hoped to have my next essay up before now but I have not had the time to write it out nor will I have the time in the upcoming week. I will, Lord willing, have it out before the end of the month. In the meantime here are a few random thoughts.

Micheal Coren's column for Sunmedia yesterday was excellent. In this column, entitled "A modern spin on sinful words" Coren discusses "the Seven Sins of the Secular State" mentioned by Piers Paul Read in his book The Misogynist. These are racism, misogyny, homophobia, elitism, smoking, obesity and religious belief. Coren's commentary is excellent, This is the first I have heard of Read's book, but I will be looking for it in the library and/or bookstores in the near future as it sounds very interesting. He has correctly identified the "sins" that people in the contemporary world waste their time getting their knickers all twisted into a knot over, instead of the real sins of wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony the church used to preach against.

Tonight is the Gala opening of the Winnipeg Chamber Music Society's 2010/2011 season. While I have season tickets, unfortunately, I had a previous commitment and so I had to give away my ticket for tonight to a friend. I hope to be able to make the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra's opening at the end of the week. The WSO will be performing Mahler's Symphony No. 1 and the evening will feature Mark O'Connor performing his Double Violin Concerto No. 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment